A lot of thieves are opportunists who may try door handles etc. on the off chance that you have had a lack of concentration and forgotten to make things secure. Other offenders prepare for high value thefts and will not only come prepared but they may plan in advance by carrying out the following:
- They may monitor your daily routine, logging times of arrival and departure over a period of time.
- Your security may be tested in advance to see where and how far they can get into your yard before they are challenged or set off any alarms. Remember to record any descriptions of persons or vehicles as this could be valuable information if offences are committed at a later date.
- Offenders may make note of what security you have in place such as alarms and lights, being seen to have these in place will make you a less desirable target.
- The location and access of your tack room will be checked by thieves. Making these locations as secure as possible will go a long way in preventing you becoming a victim of a crime.
- Offenders commit offences day or night so do not become complacent.
- When you are leaving your yard or getting out of your vehicle be aware that someone maybe watching so make sure you lock up.
- Try to vary your daily routine, and get your neighbours to alert you to any unusual activity.
Using Social Media
Just be aware that almost anyone can access Face Book, Twitter, etc – is it really wise to advertise you will be away at a show, or to post photos of your new yard, new horse box etc? Think before you post, do not make yourself vulnerable.